Tuesday, February 03, 2009

100 years

It's been that long since the official naming of Panama City. The Centennial (today's word) is upon us. I spent some time at the Visual Arts Center today, videotaping the historical items and artwork being put on display for the opening there tonight, and running through the end of the month, celebrating the centennial. I'll post the video at newsherald.com in the morning.

Discussing the Centennial, however, I can't help but think about my book, which took place during the centennial week of Century, Florida, in 2001, fictional though it was.


And of course, the James Michener miniseries and novel, Centennial.

And, even more appropriately, the second volume of City Limits, which is dedicated to the memory of my good friend and daughter in spirit, Marisa Joy Williams. Perhaps its more than coincidence (and I don't believe in coincidence) that the official date of the Centennial is Feb. 23. It's not a day I will feel like celebrating, as it's also the anniversary of Marisa's death.

This is Marisa:


Shhhh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about we don't "celebrate" that day together? I truly don't want to mark such an anniversary. My heart breaks all over again at just the thought of having lived a year without her. I do know though that I could not have survived as intact as I am without you, Debra, Nate and Jessi. I thank God everyday for you all. I'll try to come see you at the Books Alive on Sat. what time will you be there?