Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Quite the Haul, and a Sad Goodbye

For my Father's Day, we hit Coram's for burgers and then drove out to the Good Will on Backbeach Road, which only carries books and electronics, and is set up like a great used book store (i.e., in order and by genre).

And I hit the graphic novel jackpot: Ghost World first edition hardback (1997), which, if you Google will show up as valued at relatively large dollars; Star Man: Sons of the Father, final volume of the 1990s classic series;  Meridian: Taking the Skies, volume 3 of a series I never picked up before but which looks really cool; Concrete: Strange Armor, volume 6 of another modern classic that I only ever read sporadically; and Superman: Our Worlds at War (Book 1), collecting a crossover event from a few years back. Needless to say, these only cost a few bucks each, so WIN.

And on my first day back at work Monday, I got a great review item: Batwoman: Elegy, collecting the Detective Comics stories by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III. I'll be reviewing it in this week's Entertainer and will link to the story on Thursday.


Meanwhile, I have to admit to feeling like I've lost something precious, and I blame it on the series finale of Saving Grace, which we saw tonight on DVR. The show was highly rated and critically adored, and Holly Hunter was fearless as the broken police detective with a guardian angel. And the ending was heartbreaking, sudden, and ultimately unsatisfying because we both felt like we'd been robbed or violated somehow. Yes, it's only TV. It's only a story. But when characters can touch you like that, it's only art. Would I dare call a TV show, transcendent? No, but this one rose above its parts and reached for something more. We'll miss it. If you want to know more about how the show ended, then click here.

Say G'night, Grace.

No comments: