Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Who Watches the Watchmen?

I do, that's who.
Finally, finally, finally.

Went to see it at the Grand, $5 Tuesdays, and I'd have paid twice that. Wish I could make it Today's Pick, but we'll have to wait until it's out on DVD.

Very true to the graphic novel, which I bought an issue at a time back in 1984-85. And very surprising even so. The gentle voice of Dr. Manhattan. The extreme graphic violence of the combat. The graphic sex in the flying machine. The swinging blue -- well, if you read the graphic novel, you could guess. So read it:



It's a dense, metafictional, illustrated novel, and it was made into a dense, metafictional motion picture, with HUGE ideas backed by great performances and incredible effects. It doesn't blink or compromise. And it expects the audience to think, to view it multiple times to catch all the winks and nods and references, just like the book demands.

One of the storylines removed from the movie (part of the book's metafiction) is the comicbook-within-the-comicbook, "Tales of the Black Freighter." It's on DVD now, but I haven't seen it. You might want to check it out:



But be warned: It's dark.


Today's Word: Rorschach.


Say G'night Sally.


Peace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All the guys in our gang are dying to watch it. The girls are unsure. I think I'm watching it with them this weekend.

Unknown said...

While I loved it, I feel it would be difficult for anyone unfamiliar with the story to take it all in and understand it. Freda was lost and I had to explain several plot points to her after seeing it. That being said, it was a masterful adaptation of dense and difficult material to translate to a 2-3 hour film.